What do you usually think of people from the United States? Do you think we’re fat, arrogant, and love guns? Or maybe that we’re usually tall, blonde, white, and drive big cars?
In this episode we’ll discuss some common American stereotypes, what is an “Ugly American,” and which of these, if any, are actually true! This might just come in handy before you travel to the USA, or if you are just curious about American culture.
Let’s jump in!
Do you have any American stereotypes? Or funny stereotypes about your country? COMMENT Below!
- Download & Listen on Your Mobile: iTunes for Apple | Stitcher for Android
- Direct Download: Right Click on this link & Select Save.
Learn more about the RealLife Native Immersion Course (40+ podcast transcript lessons with Anki vocabulary file)
Words You’ll Learn:
- Salute – a gesture of respect made by putting one’s hand to one’s foreheard
- Sommersalts – a gymnastic roll
- Rags – old cloths often used for cleaning, or ragged clothing
- Rags to riches – a story of someone who goes from being poor to rich
- Sky is the limit – the possibilities are infinite
- Can-do attitude – having a determination and openness to work hard and try anything
- Guns – slang used to refer to one’s arm muscles
- Flex – to contract a muscle
- Cynical – having a negative view of others
- Ugly American – a pejorative term used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad, but also at home. Although the term is usually associated with or applied to travelers and tourists, it also applies to U.S. corporate businesses in the international arena
- Pejorative – expressing contempt or disapproval
- Belittle – to dismiss as unimportant
- Flip (one’s) lid – to explode with anger
- Melting pot – a place characterized by a mix of many different cultures, ethnicities, races, etc.
- Duality – contrast of two concepts or aspects
- Buff – strong
- In the buff – naked
- Wasted – very drunk
- WASP – White Anglo-Saxon Protestants – thought to be characteristic of the majority of people with money and power in the United States
- Kickback – the reaction a gun has when it’s fired that can be dangerous if one is not prepared
- RealLife English Podcast 126 – How Trump Got Elected
- Rosie the Riveter
- Elon Musk
- Ariana Huffington
- Podcast Startups
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave an iTunes Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!