Did you know that “the John” is another name for bathroom? In the English language there are many expressions based around people’s names, and today you are going to learn a lot of them!
You will also get a great vocabulary lesson from the TV series The Big Bang Theory, and an awesome quote to get you really motivated.
- Download & Listen on Your Mobile: iTunes for Apple | Stitcher for Android
- Direct Download to Computer on this page (From that page, you will right Click and Save
Words You’ll Learn
Tuning a guitar – tighten and loosed the strings of a guitar until they sound right
Swoop in – to move in with a sudden sweeping movement
Prey – the animal eaten by a predator
Raise the bar – to increase to quality and expectancy of your competitors
Tip – piece of advice
Do something left and right – to do something constantly and repeatedly
Dwarf – a small fantasy character
ESL – Acronym for English as a Second Language
To come to terms with – to accept a situation
Upcoming – coming soon, in the near future
Not too shabby – another way of saying “not too bad”
Back in the day – expression used to refer to a good memory of past times
To master something – to learn everything about something
Douchebag – an asshole, an unpleasant person
Slip up – to fall over on slippery ground; to make a silly mistake (ex)
When nature calls – when you need to use the bathroom (ex)
Dorky – a silly, quirky person, similar to a geek
Bimbo – stereotypical dumb blonde woman
Bark out orders – to tell someone to do something in a bossy way
Rage – extreme anger
It’s doable – when something can be done
- Rilker from Belo Horizonte– “This is the best ESL podcast ever. I can’t believe that you guys started in my city Belo Horizonte. I can’t stop listening to these podcasts. It’s dope. Thanks, guys. I hope you come back to Belo Horizonte to the RLE party.”
- “What we resist, persists. What we befriend, we will transcend.” – Carl Jung
- This this conversation topic we are going to teach you a large variety of different expressions all related to people’s names. From “taking it to the Max,” to becoming a “Jack of all trades,” you are going to be on top of your game [performing at you best] when it comes to using name expressions.
- Test your comprehension and have some laughs with today’s Killer Clip from the TV series, The Big Bang Theory.
Big Bang Bonus Lesson
Connect with us
- Follow us on Youtube: We have hundreds of fun, exciting RealLife lessons!
- Follow us on Twitter: receive daily tweets about phrasal verbs, slang, grammar exercises, quotes, jokes, and music videos with lyrics.
- Like our Facebook Page: receive the daily expressions and other great English tips.
- Join our Facebook Group: join the daily English discussions with tens of thousands of teachers and learners from all over the world.
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave an iTunes Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!
Song: Will Smith “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”
Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I’ll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air
In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin’ out maxin’ relaxin’ all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said ‘You’re movin’ with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air’
I begged and pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my Walkman on and said, ‘I might as well kick it’.
First class, yo this is bad
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like?
Hmmmmm this might be alright.
But wait I hear they’re prissy, bourgeois, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don’t think so
I’ll see when I get there
I hope they’re prepared for the prince of Bel-Air
Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
I ain’t trying to get arrested yet
I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared
I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought ‘Nah, forget it’ – ‘Yo, homes to Bel Air’
I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabbie ‘Yo homes smell ya later’
I looked at my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air