In this week’s episode of the RealLife English podcast, your new fluency coach Ollie guides you through a whole range of different Australian TV series that you can start watching now, from movies, series, reality shows to soap operas! He also shares some fun Aussie idioms you’ll love hearing about.
- Download & Listen on Your Mobile: iTunes for Apple | Stitcher for Android | Listen on Spotify
- Direct Download: Right Click on this link & Select Save.
Words You’ll Learn:
- Due time
- Carry on like a pork chop
- To be / act bananas
- Chuck a sickie
- Play hooky
- Soap Opera
- Trashy TV
- Hard to stomach
- Recruit: a new member of an organization
- Tame: to make an animal be less wild or dangerous so that it can interact with human beings.
- To be keen on something: interested in something and enjoying it.
- Namedropping: when someone mentions the name of a famous person they have met or have some connection with, in order to seem impressive to other people – used humorously or to show disapproval.
- “… you didn’t want to miss out on great skiing”: to not have the chance to do something that you enjoy and that would be good for you.
- “These actors are big in Hollywood”: famous, successful.
- Pick up (new words): learn new words by experience rather than by studying them.
- (of a movie) “It follows Kate”: to show or describe someone’s life or a series of events, for example in a film or book
- To dump someone: to suddenly end a romantic relationship you have been having with someone.
- Escapism: the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy.
- Do something religiously: with consistent and conscientious regularity
- Gory: involving or showing violence and blood.
- Brush up on something: to improve your knowledge of something already learned but partly forgotten.
Aussie Movies and Series:
- The Castle
- Wolf Creel
- Rabbit Proof Fence
- Crocodile Dundee
- Kath and Kim
- Please Like Me
- Secret City
- Pine Gap
- Home and Away
- The Irwin’s
- Summer Heights High
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave a Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!