Lucy from the popular YouTube English channel, English with Lucy, is here to tell us all about how to speak English clearly and confidently.
Lucy got her feet wet in ESL while teaching English in Seville, Spain. She is fluent in Andalusian Spanish and is currently learning Italian. Working with Spanish students, she knows how challenging learning a non-phonetic language like English can be, and has many tips to share with us!
This episode will be especially helpful if you speak a latin language like Spanish or Portuguese.
We had a lot of fun and laughs with this episode, and we hope you will, too!
Aww yeah, let’s jump in…
- Download & Listen on Your Mobile: iTunes for Apple | Stitcher for Android
- Direct Download: Right Click on this link & Select Save.
Learn more about the RealLife Radio Power Lesson course
(40+ podcast transcript lessons with Anki vocabulary file)
Words You’ll Learn:
- Tingly – experiencing a slight stinging or prickling sensation
- Suffocate – to cause to die from a lack of air or inability to breathe
- Macho – overly masculine, assertive, or dominating
- Feminize – to make more womanly
- Crops – a cultivated plant grown in large scale
- Hence – for this reason
- Kick out – to forcibly make someone leave a place
- Placement – in England, this is a practical working opportunity in a company specializing in your area of study
- Shut down – to close an establishment permanently
- Bizarre – extremely strange
- The world is your oyster – you are in a position to take advantage of the many advantage that life has to offer
- Algorithm – problem solving operations (usually in a computer)
- Binge watch – to watch many episodes of a TV series without taking breaks
- Binge drinking – to drink alcohol over a large period of time
- Going pins and needles – to be anxious
- Where there’s a will there’s a way – if you are persistent you can be successful
- Secondhand – used, not new
- Phone up – to call someone
- Budget – low-cost
- Underdog – someone thought to have little chance of winning or succeeding
- Tackle – to jump on top of (in sports); to look for a solution to a problem
- Take someone under your wing – to help someone by providing guidance or mentorship
- The poster child of (something) – a person or thing that represents a specified quality or cause
- Posh – upper-class, elegant, stylish (British English)
- A notch below – a level below
- RP – Received Pronunciation (the Queen’s English) (hear it here)
- Valley Girl – typical rich, fashionable woman from the Valley of Southern California. The accent is very stereotypical of Americans in other English speaking countries (hear it here)
- Geordie – typical thick accent from Newcastle (hear it here)
- Scouse – accent from Liverpool (hear it here)
- Gusto – enjoyment and enthusiasm in doing something
- Start from scratch – to start from zero
- Twat – female genitalia; used to call someone stupid (slang)
- Bollocks – male genitalia; nonsense (Lucy teaches us more about twat and bollocks, here)
- Constipated – a condition in which one has difficulty emptying the bowels
Watch the Live Video For This Podcast
Links and Mentions
- English with Lucy (Lucy’s amazing YouTube channel)
- Bedfordshire – county north of London
- Broadchurch – British TV series recommended by Lucy
- Lucy explains “Make or Do”
- The Karate Kid
- Sweet Valley High
- Arthur – American children’s TV series
- Funny baseball commercial with Spanglish
Connect with us
- Follow us on Youtube: We have hundreds of fun, exciting RealLife lessons!
- Follow us on Twitter: receive daily tweets about phrasal verbs, slang, grammar exercises, quotes, jokes, and music videos with lyrics.
- Like our Facebook Page: receive the daily expressions and other great English tips.
- Join our Facebook Group: join the daily English discussions with tens of thousands of teachers and learners from all over the world.
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave an iTunes Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!