In this episode of the RealLife English Podcast, Ethan and Andrea talk about a topic that often doesn’t get the attention that it deserves: cultural fluency. They offer their perspective on the culture of politeness in English, which might be different in your language.
- Download & Listen on Your Mobile: iTunes for Apple | Stitcher for Android | Listen on Spotify
- Direct Download: Right Click on this link & Select Save.
- Cultural fluency
- Survival phrases
Words You’ll Learn:
- A hot second
- Long time no see!
- Hey, stranger!
- Faux pas
- Look at something like a deer in the headlights
- Stump your progress
- Bless you
- Sweep: clean (an area) by brushing away dirt or litter.
- Keep in touch: to continue to talk to or write to someone
- Get the meaning across: to make someone understand or believe something.
- Brit: a person from Great Britain.
- Make a toast: to make a short speech and take a drink in honor of someone or in celebration of something.
- Dare: to be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous.
- Feeling fulfilled: satisfied or happy because of fully developing one’s abilities or character.
- Non-judgemental: If a person or thing is non-judgmental, they do not judge or criticize.
- It’s all well and good: phrase used to emphasize that a situation is free of any problems or worries.
- Accusatory: indicating or suggesting that one believes a person has done something wrong.
- Buy some time: gain some time.
- Arsenal (of tools): collection or supply of something.
- Rely on: to need a particular thing or the help and support of someone or something in order to continue, to work correctly, or to succeed.
- Work wonders: to work really well.
Links & Resources
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave a Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!