#209: 12 Beautiful English Idioms to Help you Understand Natives
If you have a soft spot for idioms, this podcast will take your breath away! Ethan and Andrea teach you 12 beautiful idioms so that you can understand their meaning and start using them in conversation. Plus, they answer the question we so often get asked: what’s the difference between an idiom and an expression?
- Download & Listen on Your Mobile: iTunes for Apple | Stitcher for Android | Listen on Spotify
- Direct Download: Right Click on this link & Select Save.
Watch us on YouTube
Words You’ll Learn:
- A means to an end
- Get one’s elbows dirty
- Build rapport
- Give credit where credit is due: this is an expression that means that you should praise someone who deserves it
- “Psychological trigger“: something that causes someone to feel in a certain way or to do something.
- “Some people believe that natives are a magic bullet“: something that works as a magic solution to a problem, often involving little or no effort at all.
- “…give you the English language spoon-fed”: If something is spoon-fed to you, it’s given to you and you don’t have to make an effort to get it, earn it, learn it, etc.
- Take something with a grain of salt: to regard something as exaggerated; believe only part of something.
- “That’s something that kind of sours people to learning with non-natives”: to become, or cause to become, less pleasant, friendly, or successful.
- “Do they light up when they’re telling that story?”: to look happy.
- “It boils down to what you want to achieve?”: to reduce information, usually so that it contains only its most important parts.
Help us Spread the Movement
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could visit our iTunes page and give us a positive review (this makes it easier to find us)
This will help us to get more listeners and invest more in the podcast! If you know some ways we can make it better, please send us an email: [email protected]
How to Leave a Review
This will help our ranking and more people will see the podcast. Aww Yeah!
It’s a great podcast. The softness and calm in Andrea’s voice makes them together with Ethan an excellent duo!
Keep it up 🙂
Hi, it seems that words and quick definitions above are the same as in the episode #208, is it possible to fix it?
By the way, this is great podcast and you do really good job 🙂
Thank you for pointing this out! We will fix it ASAP. Thank you for your support, Piotr! Happy New Year!