Do Your Best Work — Be the Change You Wish to See in the World
Searching for a Capable, Experienced Florianópolis-based Product Designer to help us WOW millions with our recently-launched 4.8 star Mobile App!
RealLife is an international social education startup dedicated to helping English learners make learning an epic, global adventure.
You will be the 14th member of an international, mission-driven startup, helping grow (and growing with) the company at the heart of our English speaking product team, owning the Product Design role, working closely with our PM, two developers, and the CEO.
The RealLife App, launched in May '21, now has over 100k Monthly Active Users, but our product is just one of many superpowers. Our second superpower is our world-class teaching:
Our Learn English with TV Series Youtube channel has 7 million subs (which we're just starting to channel toward the app), while our RealLife English Youtube channel has over 650k subs. AND our podcast averages over 700k downloads/ month!
But product and marketing really are just symptoms of our real superpower: our people and culture!
What We're Looking For
- Strong holistic and human-centric design vision and skills for the entire product design process
- Demonstrated Experience in research, prototyping, and product discovery activities.
- Demonstrated Experience designing attractive and exceptionally usable digital interfaces.
- You have at least an intermediate English level (reading, writing, speaking, listening).
- You're a missionary. You grasp the vision and are willing to go above and beyond to achieve outcomes that solve complex user problems with driving business value.
- Competent use of at least 1 design and Prototyping Tool (Photoshop, Figma, etc).
- Be located in or near Florianópolis, and able commute to work with the product team (we haven't set up our base, but it's likely to be somewhere near "centro") 1-2x per week.
- The rest of the company is 100% remote, but our entire product team has moved to Florianópolis, so we're going to try to experiment with the hybrid work model.
More Desirable Qualities (Nice to Have)
- Professional experience with mobile apps
- Graduated in any design or technology-related related field, also Entrepreneurial Experience
- Experience with startups/ innovative digital products
- Agile and/ or Scrum experience
You will optimize and evolve the UX and UI of our app, helping us evolve and discover a solution that is valuable, usable, and technologically feasible, and economically valuable.
What You'll Learn
- You will be at the heart of product and product vision, and be guided and learn from our Product Manager, who also has a strong UX Designer background and will serve a strong partner in product discovery.
- You will learn exciting new and upcoming technologies that we’re constantly integrating (in use now, and future directions). Our app uses cutting edge technology, including: Flutter, Go, WebRTC, Microservices.
- You will be immersed in an English speaking company, culture, and product experience, receiving ample support and guidance for your fluency (Founded in Brazil by American English teachers, we're distributed across South America and Europe)
- We practice Scrum, and OKRs (Objectives & Key Results): a goal-setting and tracking framework used by Google, Amazon, Spotify, and many more (more on OKRs)
About the App
The RealLife app helps intermediate English learners become not only confident, natural English speakers, but also Global Citizens. We help people understand fast-speaking natives, and communicate with anyone.
- The Global Speak connects English learners with other English learners from around the world to practice their English (video chat) while discovering new friends across cultures.
- Podcast lessons, built into the app, from the world-famous RealLife English Podcast, complete with digital transcripts, flashcards and other learning tools in development.
A Few of the 15,000+ Reviews (Click here to see many more)
More About You
- You successfully work in a distributed (remote) arrangement, collaborating with the Product Team in daily meetings. Remember, this is a hybrid role - with 2 in-person meetings per week.
- You will need to be able to produce autonomously, without micromanagement, researching and solving challenges.
- Ability to work full-time, at least (and around) 40 hours per week, on a primarily Monday - Friday Schedule.
- High Integrity: You’re ethical, transparent, do what you say you will do.
- Proactive: You own your work, act without being told what to do, bring new ideas, and pride yourself in going above and beyond what is expected.
- Communicative: Prompt and clear communication, able to take and give honest feedback with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- You're Creative AND Organized: You're curious, you're always having new ideas, but you're able to structure and organize them into a scalable and logical processes.
- You strive to be the best version of yourself: You cultivate optimal habits in your personal and professional life to show up at your best every day and consistently strive to realize your potential.
- Voracious Learner: Extremely curious and passionate about stretching the mind and acquiring new knowledge and skills.
- Competitive Compensation (You will be a P.J./ Contracted Worker).
- Hybrid Remote/ In-Person: 60% Remote, 40% In-Person
- We are starting to experiment with the hybrid work model: our product team is based in South and Central Florianópolis and we've been meeting once every 2 weeks. We're planning to this to 1, or even 2 times per week in the future.
- Schedule Flexibility
- The product team works mostly Monday through Friday, and there are collaboration rhythms and rituals, but with communication and responsibility as the base, you're free to mold your schedule to your needs.
- English Speaking Team Immersion with Support For Your Learning.
- Paid Time Off: 22 Days Total (4 weeks + 2 days), including 11 vacation days and 11 flexible holidays
- Flexible Holidays: Public Holidays are different in each country, so rather than obligating you to take off a fixed schedule of public holidays, you choose when to take your holidays (or even mix them with your vacation days).
- Periodic Immersive company retreat in exotic locations (The 2022 RealLife Summit was in Florianópolis, and we just did the 2023 one in Cusco, Pero <Machu Picchu>)
- Career Growth Plan, and potential for performance-based stock options (the value of your shares will grow as the company succeeds).
- A truly exceptional team and company culture (most people who work with us report this as the #1 thing they love about working with RealLife. Learn more about who we are)
- Parent Friendly work environment
Short Video of App
© Copyright 2022 by RealLife Ltd